Top Three Popular Posts

Friday 19 April 2013

Easter Sermon To (From?) the Birds



Looked up on Easter morning and saw the pigeons on the tree looking down at me. I imagined this was a sermon I was giving the pigeons or was it the other way around? This could have been triggered by the fact that other folk were in church and i wasn't. The pigeons seemed to ask me – how should we be? This question i recall seemed to have come out of the sight of a butterfly flying near a pigeon and the pigeon appearing to think about going after the butterfly and then seeming to hold back as if confused or embarrassed. I replied back to the pigeons – be according to your true nature. A cuckoo started sending out its signals to the world. I interpreted this as a question from it to me – what about me? I replied to it with the same answer. It seemed to say – i am confused, what is my true nature? I asked it to be the way it felt moment by moment and to reflect if this was its true nature. I felt that doing this diligently would enable it to understand what its true nature was eventually and then to live effortlessly according to its nature. Then the thought occurred to me that things seemed so straight forward for most beings – the trees, birds, ants, plants, etc. They really didn’t seem to have any confusion about being according to their true nature. Humans on the other hand, with our infinite complexities, confusions of the mind, influences, desires, who we think we are from one moment to the next, seem to find it so much harder to understand what our true nature is and be according to it, if we ever want to in the first place that is.

No comments:

Post a Comment